Happy New Year’s Eve party preparations to all of you! We’ll be ringing in the New Year at A Twilight Masquerade at my dad’s place: Robert Hall Winery.
I want to look my best, and I want you to look your best, too – even if you’re not planning to go out for NYE! So, here are ten steps to flawless looking makeup:
1. Healthy Skin is the most important start to great makeup, and while you can’t change your skin in 24 hours, you can do the following:
- Drink a ton of water the day of and the proceeding days. If you’ll be drinking, this is mandatory.
- Eat healthy and regular meals the day of the bash.
- Get plenty of rest the night before.
3. Exfoliate – A few days before the big night, start using masks, peels, and scrubs. The Cleansing Oil is also an excellent way to polish, exfoliate, and brighten your skin: Do a 20-minute massage with it instead of the normal quick cleanse. (Did you know the Cleansing Oil takes off makeup really well? Buh-bye, makeup dissolver.)
Of course, hopefully you have consulted a skincare professional about which products are best for your skin. If you trust your exfoliant not to cause a breakout or irritate your skin, using one even the night before will help your skin look radiant.
4. Moisturize – Those of you who read my blog regularly know that when you discipline the skin, you also need to use plenty of TLC. Moisturize the entire face, neck, and décolleté, as well as the eye area. Even oily and acne-prone skin types need moisturizer. Your makeup will look so much better if your skin is well-hydrated.
5. Prime – Every great artist knows that preparing the canvas is key. Getting the skin ready for the application of cosmetics makes the finished “look” so much better. Absorb Oil Control is perfect for oily and acne-prone skin: It is an oil controller and hydrator in one. Mineral Primer will fill in the fine lines and imperfections and make your foundation last. Use Concealer around the eye area or any other area where skin color is irregular.
6. Apply Foundation – Youngblood Mineral Makeup is my favorite makeup base. Use a small brush for extra coverage in the areas that need it. Use a darker color to contour, like the hollows of your cheeks or the sides of your nose. Contour the eyes with shades of brown, especially if you have droopy lids. (Remember: dark recedes, light brings forward.) Highlighter under the brow bone accentuates the arch. I carry BDB Duo Concealer: it’s a pencil with concealer on one end and highlighter on the other – another “twofer”!
7. Add Color – Glitter (small particles, used sparingly) is a hot look for NYE. Aging skin doesn’t do well with glitter, though. I personally like the Youngblood Mineral Makeup in the color Sunglow for sparkle and pop. Blush should be applied to the apple of the cheek only if you have a very thin and long face, so you can create width. If your face is round, apply blush on the cheek starting at the edge of the iris and swooping up to the temples and into the hairline.
Shadow color can be added next. Remember: if you are playing up the eyes, go easy on the lips, and vice versa. Youngblood Mineral Eyeshadow is amazing – long-lasting and smudge-proof.
Eyeliner (MUA Michelle Phan gives some options), is probably the biggest statement in makeup. Youngblood Pencils with Rhus Succedanea Fruit Wax and Coco- Glycerides is so easy to use. If your lids are crepey/droopy you may not be able to rock the winged effect on the upper lid but try this:
Stretch the edge of the eye so the skin is taught (be careful not to pull too tight, it can damage the delicate eye area), then line the lower lid very close to the lashes and wing it up and out!
8. Lashes – Lash Extensions in a tube! Blackout Mineral Mascara by Youngblood is great. It has little fibers, and is thickening and lengthening. Lash Primer, underwear for the lashes. 🙂 is also excellent for extra volume and conditioning. For those of us who need to curl our lashes, I like the MAC curler best.
9. Lips – I recommend a lip pencil and plumping colored gloss – both by Youngblood Mineral Cosmetics. You’ll get rich, highly pigmented color with the pencil and hydration with the gloss.
10. Eyebrows – Getting the right shape requires professional help – at least to get you started and at best for maintenance. You’re not stuck with the eyebrows you have: You can create the perfect brows at home. How? If you have thinning brows, start using Brow Boost right away. All the Billion Dollar Brows products rock! Cosmetics for creating the perfect eyebrows – like pencils, powders, and brow-setting gel – will transform blah brows into bomb brows!
Have a great time, and Happy New Year to you all!
See you at the spa!